There are a variety of foods that naturally boost your immune system, what we eat is very important when it comes to how our immune system responds to pathogens and how well it can defend itself against a virus.
Below are just a few foods to incorporate into your diet for that easy natural boost for immune defense:
- Garlic: helps boost the immune system because it contains heavily concentrated amounts of allicin a sulfur-containing compound used to fight infections due to its antimicrobial activity.
- Ginger: contains antioxidants and naturally boosts the amount of calcium in our cells which fights off inflammation in the body. Ginger may also be used to decrease symptoms of nausea.
- Dark chocolate: contains natural antioxidants which may help boost your immune system by protecting the body’s cells from free radicals. These are molecules the body produces when it comes into contact with pollutants. Though there are potential benefits, dark chocolate still contains saturated fat and a high number of calories so it should be eaten in moderation.
- Spinach: contains antioxidants and many essential nutrients like vitamin E, carotenoids, beta carotene, flavonoids and rich in vitamin C. Spinach can increase the infection fighting ability of the immune system and flavonoids have been shown to decrease symptoms of a common cold. Spinach is most impactful when it is cooked lightly, as it retains its nutrients.
- Citrus fruits: almost all citrus fruits are high in vitamin-c. Vitamin-C increases the production of white blood cells which are key to fighting infection. Because your body does not produce vitamin c naturally its important to incorporate it into your daily intake. Most popular citrus fruits include grapefruit, lemons, limes, clementines, and tangerines.
- Broccoli: considered to be one of the healthiest vegetables to choose from. It contains high number of vitamins and minerals to include vitamins A, C, and E as well as antioxidants and fiber. Broccoli best holds its nutrients when it is eaten raw or lightly steamed.
These are just a few foods among a large variety to help get that natural boost to your immune system and keep you healthier day to day.